Reserve Intermittent Academy > Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked QuestionsApplication Process
- How do I obtain an application?
- Who is authorized to sign my application?
- Where do I send the application?
- Will I be notified of my acceptance into the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class?
- What is the cost of the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training course?
- Do you accept cash or personal checks?
- Who do I make the bank check or money order payable to for the training fee?
- Are there any books or study material(s) that are needed for the program?
- Do I need medical insurance to attend the training?
- What must be submitted to be accepted into the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class?
- What is the WMCOPA phone number at the Academy
- Are there uniform requirements for attending the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class?
- What should I wear for clothing the first night of training?
- Where is S.T.C.C. located?
- Where are the classes held at S.T.C.C.
- Where do I park my vehicle while on the S.T.C.C. Campus?
- What time does the first class begin?
- What time do classes start after the first day?
- How many hours is the Basic Reserve/Intermittent Training?
- Am I required to attend all classes?
- How will I know if classes are cancelled?
- What additional equipment will be needed for the training?
- Will I receive a certificate of completion for this training?
Q. How do I obtain an application?
Applications can be downloaded HERE.
Q. Who is authorized to sign my application?
Only the Chief of Police can sign your application, any other signature will not be accepted.
Q. Where do I send the application?
Once your application is approved and signed by the sponsoring Chief of Police, please send your application to the following address:
Note a $500. deposit in the form of a Department check or money order made out to the WMCOPA MUST be attached.
Q. Will I be notified of my acceptance into the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class?
Yes. You will receive an Email confirmation. from the Coordinator of Training. This letter will be emailed to the Email address provided on the submitted application.
Q. What is the cost of the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training course?
The cost of the course is $1100.00. This includes the needed textbooks from Law Enforcment Dimensions. A $500.00 deposit is required to be submitted with your application. The remaining $600.00 is due the first class. Both payments must be in the form of a money order or a Police Department check. Payment in full MUST be made prior to the officer beginning any training. Both payments must be made out to the WMCOPA.
Q. Do you accept cash or personal checks?
No. The only form of payment accepted is bank check or money order or checks from Police Departments. No personal checks or cash will be accepted.
Q. Who do I make the bank check or money order payable to for the training fee?
The bank check or money order must be made payable to the Western Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association (WMCOPA) in the amount of $500.00. The balance due the first day ($600.00) must also be made out to the Western Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association
Q. Are there any books or study material(s) that are needed for the program?
Yes. Currently, the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class uses the Criminal Procedure manual, Criminal Law manual the Motor Vehicle Law manual published by Law Enforcement Dimensions. Payment for these items is included in your tuition. Those books are yours to keep at the end of the class.
Q. Do I need medical insurance to attend the training?
Yes. This question is addresed on your application. Your Chief is responsible for determining if you are insured.
Q. What must be submitted to be accepted into the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class?
You must submit the following:
- Properly approved application signed by the Chief of Police.
- Bank check or money order in the amount of $500.00 payable to W.M.C.O.P.A. An additonal $600.00 is due first day of class.
You must also purchase BDU's, a shirt, pants and belt. Cost for these items is approximately $120.00
Q. What is the WMCOPA phone number at the Academy
Preparing for the first day of class
Q. Are there uniform requirements for attending the Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class?
Yes. Download the Uniform Requirements form for the minimum uniform requirements.
Please note that at NO TIME are firearms allowed on campus.
Q. What should I wear for clothing the first night of training?
All student officers are required to be in the academy uniform. For the first night, the long sleeve shirt must be worn. Uniforms are expected to be neatly pressed and boots should be clean and shined. Uniform changes beyond the first class will be at the discretion of the class Program Manager.
Q. Where is S.T.C.C. located?
Directions to Springfield Technical Community College (STCC) can be found at the bottom of the Reserve/Intermittent Academy page.
Q. Where are the classes held at S.T.C.C.
Q. Where do I park my vehicle while on the S.T.C.C. Campus?
Parking is at a premium while college is in session. You can park in any public parking area that is not restricted. Parking is allowed in the faculty parking areas at night and on the weekends only. Do not park in restricted areas of any type including, but not limited to, handicap designated areas, Campus Police parking, tow zones, areas designated "No Parking" and Fire lanes. Do not park in front of or block access to fire hydrants. There is additional parking located on Pearl Street and S.T.C.C. shuttle buses operate during all of the times that you will be on campus.
ALSO All traffic rules MUST be followed on campus, including stop signs and one way signs.
Beginning the Basic Reserve/Intermittent Training
Q. What time does the first class begin?
If you are attending the Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday training classes, the first class begins at 6:00pm. This class will include your orientation to the training program.
If you are attending a Saturday only class, the first class starts at 9 am.
Q. What time do classes start after the first day?
- Tuesday and Thursday classes begin at 6:00 pm and end at 9:00 pm
- Saturday's first class begins at 9:00 am and ends at 12:00 pm
- Saturday's second class begins at 1:00 pm and ends at 4:00 pm
The exception is CPR/First responder which will be 4 hour bloccks on Saturday.These will be held sometime in the middle of the Academy session. Classes will start at 8am.
For further class schedule information see: Curriculum
Q. How many hours is the Basic Reserve/Intermittent Training?
The Basic Reserve/Intermittent training class is a combination of classroom, practical training and testing for a combined total of 242 hours of training.
Q. Am I required to attend all classes?
It is highly recommended that all classes are attended. You are allowed to miss three (3) sessions. Keep in mind that Saturday classes count as two (2) sessions. There are mandatory classes and no certification will be given until all requirements have been met. This includes attending the minimum amount of classes, passing all written / practical tests and attending all required classes.
Q. How will I know if classes are cancelled?
If classes are cancelled due to weather conditions all the local television channels will have this information. If the S.T.C.C. campus is closed, then classes are cancelled. This information will also be indicated on this website in the "Latest News" section.
Q. What additional equipment will be needed for the training?
There is training in defensive tactics & motor vehicle stops. For this training you will need the equipment utilized by your sponsoring agency. Specifics will be covered the first night of class.
Q. Will I receive a certificate of completion for this training?
Yes. Once all course requirements are met then you will receive a certificate from the Municipal Police Training Committee.